Cool Fruit Sensations’ husband-and-wife team will be at the Essence Festival Family Day on Thursday July 3. Cool Fruit Sensations is one of four New Orleans businesses chosen to present its product to Walmart Sunday, July 6, at 10:30 a.m. at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. Here’s my interview with co-owner, Don Harding.
1) Any advice do you have for a husband and wife team looking to start a business?
My advice to anyone considering starting a business would be to ask themselves a few questions and answer them honestly:
- Is this just a business, or is it something that you are passionate about?
- Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to make the business a success?
- Do you have the skill set necessary to run the business you’re considering?
- Do you have a plan?
- Are you motivated to do this by more than just money?
Last but not least, adopt my motto. “Whether you believe that you can’t, or that you can, you’re absolutely right.”
2) What have you learned about New Orleans as a business owner that you didn’t know prior to owning a business?
I have learned that within the New Orleans community, there are quite a few people/organizations that are passionately committed to helping small businesses reach their full potential. For me, Newcorp with Vaughn Fauria, and Peter Brooks have been wonderful. Also, the disadvantaged business enterprise program with the City of New Orleans.
3) What refreshing drink would you recommend to an Essence Fest first-timer?
I would personally recommend a delicious, refreshing, Blueberry Lime!
Kelly Harris is the Founder and Editor of BrassyBrown.com